Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Virtues

    Everyone lives with virtues. Some people pay more attention to their virtues than other. Some people take their virtues more seriously than others. I am someone who has never really thought about my virtues, until a few weeks ago. I chose a few virtues to be mine, for very specific reasons. Humility, tranquility, diligence, and dignity are the virtues I want guiding me as I live my life. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less. I must remain humble, and grateful for what I have been given. I am a lucky person for the life I have, and practicing humility will make me appreciate this. Tranquility is the next virtue. Tranquility is not getting disturbed at the small problems and common accidents which are out of my control. Things happen in life in which we have no power over, and I must be able to understand I cannot do anything about these occurrences. I must focus on the aspects of my life which I can control. The practice of diligence is staying discipline in the everyday activities.This may be the hardest virtue to maintain, as it takes constant focus and determination to change everyday activities.
    As far as my first plan, I have thought a little about the virtues, but I have not done everything I intended. I considered many different virtues, and these are the ones I want to live my life by. In the future I plan to spend ten minutes at the beginning of every day considering my schedule for the day, and what I plan to do to uphold the commitment I made. Also, I will spend ten minutes at the end of the night previewing the following day, and reviewing the day which just occurred to figure out what I did right and wrong that day. This will be a work in progress, and I do not expect immediate results, but rather an improvement every day eventually accumulating to long-term, and permanent changes to my attitude, maturity, and way of life. This assignment is not just an English lesson, but a life lesson, in which I can gain much more from it than a grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment