Monday, April 16, 2012

Drafting

    This English class is much different than any other English class I have taken. It is also much different than the expectations I had set for the class. I was suggested Professor Brandon by another professor at the college, who told me that it was different than any other English class I will take. She was right. Through the first few weeks, I felt lost in the class, and at times I still do, but I am starting to see where the class is supposed to end up. A major part of the class is digital technologies. I had the fortune of growing up at the birth of the digital revolution. Information is growing and spreading faster than ever before, and pen and paper as a source to spread that information is fading out. The digital revolution is changing the way we produce and publish information.
    Henrico County, where I attended high school, gave a laptop computer to every student from middle school, and up. Therefore, I feel that I enter into college with an above average understanding of computers and the programs contained on them. However, my skills can always be refined, and computers are changing every day. I gained a more in depth knowledge of the skills and traits required to publish digitally. By having a better understanding of the editing tools available I can become a more efficient writer and prevent my mind from being clouded.
    I still have a lot of work to do when it comes to research and finding sources. I have a tough time finding the right sources and databases, as well as staying on task with what I am looking for. I have gained some knowledge of how to find and use resources, like where to start your research at, and consolidating your pre-writing notes into one place.
    As far as disseminating texts in electronic forms, this is where I have come the farthest. The main part I learned was with blogging. Before this class I honestly thought of blogging as something for nerds and amateur writers who wanted their voices to be heard. I now know that it does in fact go much deeper than that. I had no knowledge of how to create or publish a blog. Especially in a group or class setting, blogs can be awesome for getting good feedback and ideas. It also gives you the availability of being able to access your notes from wherever you want, and pick up where you left off. This is great for when you have an idea, but you are not at your computer at the time.
    Overall, I have learned a lot more in this class than I ever expected. I have come farther than I would of thought, but I still do not think I have come far enough. Now that I am starting to really grasp the structure and point of this class, I feel that these last few weeks of the semester are important. If I can take advantage of my time, and perform the way I want, I believe I will maximize my potential as an English student.






No comments:

Post a Comment